Right now different storage sizes of the Kindle HDX models are very close in price:
- Kindle Fire HDX 16GB (around 11GB free user space)
- Kindle Fire HDX 32GB (around 25GB free user space)
- Kindle Fire HDX 64GB (around 54GB free user space)
Some storage space are used up by the system files, which is now the new Fire OS 4.0. Therefore, there’ll only be a fraction of free storage available for your use, and you won’t have the storage space of the full claimed size.
In addition to the price above, we also highly recommend you to read the quick questions here, which can help you decide which memory size to get within 30 seconds:
Other than the content mentioned in the 30 seconds quick questions above, the rest (like the activities below) won’t take up much space:
- Surfing the web, using emails, using Facebook, etc.
- Streaming videos – It’s just like surfing the web, it downloads content from the Internet, so it won’t take up storage space.
- Reading ebooks – Unless you have a ton of ebooks. On average, 1GB of space can hold more than a thousand e-books already.
- Storing photos – On average, 1GB of space can hold hundreds of photos. So unless you want to storage lots of photos on your Kindle HDX tablet, otherwise it won’t be an issue.
Thus, if you are looking for a device for downloading lots of songs (500+) and several HD movies (say 5+ movies to watch offline before the next download), then make sure you get the 64GB model or the storage won’t be enough.
Otherwise, if you will have quite a lot of songs, few HD movies (say 2 movies), and you won’t be getting every app, then the 32GB model should be good enough for you.
Finally, if you rarely download movies (will mostly be watching via online streaming), the 16GB model can be enough for you. It’ll be enough for holding a good amount of songs and apps, just expect you will have to delete something from the device once you get too much on it.
To be on the safe side, choose at least 32GB even though the 16GB would save you a little money. However, with the 64GB, it is a surety that you won’t have to worry about running out of space. We recommend you to go for the 64GB, especially the price difference now is so small (as mentioned at the beginning of the article).