The new iPad Air which recently arrived on 1st of Nov has few good amount of improvements over the previous version. I.e the weight, DDR3 RAM and the new A7 Chip to make the performance faster and consume lesser battery.
Kindle Fire HDX also released recently on Nov 7th is a tough competitor to iPad Air being the one with better resolution, processor and RAM.
Both devices are pretty good and you cant go wrong getting either.
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9
- 2560*1600 display @339PPI (vs 2048*1536 display @264PPI)
- Digital Dolby stereo speakers
- 8MP rear facing camera (vs 5Mp rear facing camera)
- Quad core processor
- 2Gb RAM
- Weighs 374g
- Cheaper price for better features
- The App store has over 100k apps which is low compared to Apple App store (you can side-load apps from Google Play Store)
- no Tv out
Comparison of Kindle Fire HDX vs iPad Air, from an actual owner of many iPad and Kindle tablets:
Apple iPad Air
- Apple app store with over 900k apps and over 475k apps optimized for iPad
- Huge variety of accessories that you can attach and enjoy
- Tv out
- Bigger screen @9.7″
- It is up-gradable to latest versions (vs Kindle Fire HDX is fixed but does gets update)
- Siri voice commands
- The new A7 chip making it more energy efficient and faster
- Apple has many restriction from the way you download things to sharing and others stuff
- Price is high
If you are looking for a tablet and not for the brand name then Kindle Fire HDX basically does all the stuff the iPad Air can do and that too in a cheaper price. But you would have to work around the app store a bit which is worth it for the bucks you would be saving.
But if you are looking for something specific in the iPad Air that other tablets wont be able to provide OR if you have a good amount of budget to spend on a tablet then I do prefer that you select the iPad Air.
Apple iPad Air – Latest specs and price: